our four-season resort delivers the perfect mountain lifestyle
Big Bear Lake is a fantastic four-season alpine resort community nestled in the San Bernardino Mountains, east of Los Angeles. The public lake sits at an elevation of 6,750 feet above sea level and the Big Bear Valley is surrounded entirely by National Forest.
Big Bear Lake truly is a breath of fresh air. With over 300 sunny days a year and some of the cleanest air in Southern California, Big Bear offers year-round recreation.
Outdoor activities here are plentiful. In the warmer seasons you can enjoy hiking and mountain biking on the many spectacular forest trails. The 'jewel of the valley,' our beautiful lake, provides endless water recreation possibilities.
When winter arrives, Big Bear offers two tremendously fun ski resorts to choose from and sledding opportunities for the kids abound.
so many activities to enjoy
- Hit the snow at Snow Summit or Bear Mountain, our two local havens for skiers and snowboarders.
- Go sledding, tubing or tobogganing at one of our local snow play areas.
- Strap on a pair of snowshoes or cross-country skis and venture into our vast National Forest.
- Stop at one of our quaint coffee shops in the village for a mug of hot joe... or cocoa.
- Build a snowman or make snow angels in front of your winter wonderland cabin.
- Cozy up to a toasty fire as snow falls gently across the valley.
- Hike in our awakening spring-time forests through fields of blooming wildflowers accompanied by hosts of chirping birds.
- Go bird watching, or discover an icy snow-melt-fed waterfall tumbling down long lost forest boulders.
- Bring your tackle because spring's ideal conditions make for your chance to reel in the big catches.
- As the trails dry out and the forest roads defrost, try a little adventure off-roading through our historic back country.
- On April 1st, the lake reopens and its time to hit the water!
- Soak up Big Bear Lake's endless summer fun with a whole host of water sports. We offer everything from kayaking, stand-up paddleboarding, parasailing, jet skiing, and wakeboarding to lazy pontoon rides and lakeside swimming.
- Get your blood pumping with an adventure ride on one of the unique and thrilling New Zealand-style Jet Boat tours.
- Take a lake cruise aboard the pirate ship or the old-fashioned paddlewheeler, the Big Bear Queen.
- Take a ride up the scenic Sky Chair, travelling from the forest floor to the top Snow Summit for panoramic views.
- Bring your camera and capture the blazing beauty of fall in Big Bear.
- Visit the Aspen Grove and walk amongst the quaking aspens covered in brilliant amber, yellow and pumpkin-colored leaves.
- Continue to enjoy the lake with its fantastic fishing and many boating activities.
- Visit our annual Oktoberfest for fun for the whole family.
- Autumn is the time of nighttime Flashlight Safari tours at the Moonridge Animal Park. See if you can make the wolves howl.
- Take a horseback ride through the cool, changing forest.